Are you an intermediate golfer and struggling to bring your scores down? If yes, then getting the right gear can dramatically push your game to the next level. As an intermediate golfer, your aim is not only to score well, but also to put an effort to not add any more strokes in the game. Hence, you need to find a set of golf clubs that are specifically designed to improve your accuracy, power, and distance.
In a Hurry? Here are Our Top Choices
A good golf club set is an instant solution! Continue reading this guide to find out:
- Who classifies as an intermediate golf player?
- The three best golf club sets for an intermediate golfer
- Things to look for in the best golf club set for an intermediate golfer
Are You an Intermediate Golfer?
A golfer is classified as an intermediate player according to the United States Golf Association (USGA) Handicap Index. The index has been established to promote a fair game by balancing players of different skill levels. It ranks golfers based on their capability to perform and assigns them one or two-digit numbers. These numbers are contained in three levels: high, mid, and low. The lower the index rating of golfers, the higher the category they belong to.
As per the USGA handicap index, an intermediate player is someone who stands in the mid handicap level (called a mid-handicapper). If you are an intermediate player, your handicap index is probably going to be somewhere between 9 and 20. But don’t let the label get to you! The USGA has placed about 40% of all male golfers in this category. As an intermediate player, you are capable enough to hit good shots from a decent distance.
The 3 Best Golf Club Sets for You
As an intermediate golfer, you can ease your way into the low handicap index by simply perfecting your shots and practicing not to miss any shots using the right equipment. The following is a list of the best golf club sets for an intermediate golfer that you must consider.
1. Best of the Best: Callaway Men’s Strata Ultimate Golf Set
If you are aiming to utilize your full potential, the Callaway Men’s Strata Ultimate Golf Set is what you need! It is a complete set of 12 clubs that come with a durable and stylish stand bag. You should expect a driver club made of titanium that enables you to avoid many mis-hits because of its incredible forgiveness. The set also features two fairway wood irons that are designed to provide maximum aerodynamic support to your shots on impact with the golf ball.
In case you are not used to very long irons, the Callaway Strata hybrid irons serve as a great alternative. They are designed to deliver a performance that is equal to or better than the long irons. The putter is also crafted to have a milled face that increases the precision of the shot significantly and improves its accuracy.
Overall, the clubs in this set are made to deliver a great flight and provide you with better control and forgiveness. Since all of them are made from stainless steel, they are undeniably durable and effective. Despite its relatively higher costs, Callaway Men’s Strata Ultimate Golf Set is the best golf club set for an intermediate golfer looking for a long-lasting club set and amazing playing experience.
- Consists of 12 golf club irons that are all designed for intermediate players
- Brilliant overall quality
- A complete premium package
- Comes with a complimentary cart bag that is spacious and sturdy
- It is a complete set of clubs that can be used throughout the golf course
- More expensive than the other Strata series golf sets
- Signs of wear and tear may quickly appear on the driver
- May not be too advanced for some intermediate golfers
2. Best Quality: Cobra F-Max Complete Set
Cobra Men’s F-Max Complete Set is unique in a way that it incorporates innovative and technological features all-in-one. It consists of 12 clubs for all kinds of uses on the golf course. The strong graphite shafts make this set extremely durable.
This golf set is one of the best golf club sets for intermediate golfers because it can instantly improve their performance. The clubs are designed to have back weighting characteristics that give you greater control, eliminate any unnecessary spin, and provide a high launch enabling you to cover long distances. It also includes an electronic monitoring system that aids you in maximizing club performance which works brilliantly for an intermediate golfer.
Cobra Men’s F-Max set has clubs with innovative crowns that are manufactured to provide aerodynamic performance and increase the speed of the ball. This is done by strategically positioned aero trips relative to the airflow orientation. So if you want to make long-distance strokes, this club set is a great option to consider!
- They are designed to cover great distances
- Offer amazing accuracy
- Come with an impressive electronic monitoring system
- Too good for its value
- Has a very low spin
- Not suited for traditional players
- Can be a little complex to handle
- Too much forgiveness for some intermediate players
Most Forgiving: Cleveland Golf Launcher HB Iron Set
Cleveland Launcher HB Iron is a great golf club set for intermediate golfers looking for optimum forgiveness. It is made using creative engineering that gives you all the extra distance and forgiveness which you’re looking for. This design allows better contact with the ball enabling you to hit it faster. You will thus have straight-shot making ability and your golf ball will stay in the air longer than it does otherwise.
The Cleveland Launcher club set lacks mass inside the clubhead and instead adjusts it by moving the weight along to the strong clubface. This HiBore Crown technology has moved the center of gravity to a lower and deeper area. This results in reduced side spin and amazing forgiveness making it one of the best golf clubs for intermediate golfers.
- Weight distribution allows more forgiveness
- Light-weight irons provide a greater distance for mid-range and long-range shots
- Have a brilliant accuracy when it comes to close-range shots
- The angle of the clubface gives an extremely high launch
- Golfers may have adjustment issues
- Not a complete set
Features of the Best Golf Club Sets for Intermediate Players
If you’re an average player and are eyeing for a pro-level golf club, don’t think that getting the same gear as experienced players will help improve your game. Similarly, irons for beginners will not suit you either because they won’t suffice as game-improvement clubs.
Best golf club set for an intermediate golfer consists of clubs that have:
- A design that boosts ball height on shots and reduces the length of birdie putts
- An ideal weight that helps to correct a shot after a minor mishit
- The cavity at the back of the clubhead so that the force is moved to the front for a larger sweet spot
- The wide club faces to improve contact and increase forgiveness
- Perimeter weighting to increase forgiveness
- The quality to provide an optimum balance between playability and forgiveness
- Special technological features that help with controlling the ball speed
Our Final Thoughts
There are numerous options available in the market that claim to be the best golf club sets for intermediate golfers. Remember that the best golf clubs will offer you a balance between forgiveness, consistency, and playability.
We hope this guide was useful. As you make your decision, don’t forget to prioritize your needs over what golf club brands advertise. Don’t hesitate to try out your options, and see the one that suits you best!